Blocking in volleyball has evolved as the speed of the game continues to increase. Gold medal coach Gary Sato presents the basics of how to block effectively.
1. Thirds is the basic building blocks of blocking. Each front row player is assigned a specific section of the net.
2. Finding the hitters tendencies is part of getting into their head and shutting them down.
3. The eyes have to look at more than the ball. The correct sequence is explained here.
4. Footwork involves getting to the ball quickly with crossover steps and shuffle steps being demonstrated.
5. Placing the hands in the proper position and getting across the net leads to success.
6. Good blockers have an aggressive mindset to go after the ball and force the hitter to change their swing.
To view all of Gary Sato’s videos – Click Here!
Gary Sato Volleyball Blocking Video 1