Gary knows first hand height does not affect the defensive part of the game. This video series discusses the fundamentals to playing defense in various positions. It culminates with what a defenders mindset needs to be.
1. The stance begins in an athletic position with arms out in a neutral place and relaxed.
2. When playing position five read the set first. This will determine where to start and always be facing the hitter.
3. In position six first look to take away the middle quick. On well formed blocks play center field.
4. Position one is usually where the setter or opposite will be. Either way their first job is play defense.
5. Position two primarily helps among other responsibilities.
6. The mindset of every defender is to get and control every single ball. If you can touch it, you can get it.
To view all of Gary Sato’s videos – Click Here!
Gary Sato Volleyball Defense Video 1