Stein gives instruction on how to play defense on the sand. Defense start with reading then reacting with the correct footwork and form to get to the ball. In these instructional videos Stein coaches both for beach volleyball defense.
1. Positioning starts by being in the cross court slightly inside of the blocker to watch the hitter. Over time players learn to anticipate and mentally prepare for where the ball will go.
2. One hand contacts are for emergencies. Practice for this can be done anywhere by hitting the ball straight up with the players weak hand.
3. On a hard driven ball balance is key. Players must have good balance to control the ball or the dig will go off the court.
4. To defend against a good shot be ready at all times. When the shot is made stay low and drive to the ball for a good pass.
5. A fake out is a good strategy to confuse the opponent.
6. Transition from offense to defense is very simple. On a good dig move to where the ball is to prepare for the hit.
To view all of Stein Metzger’s videos – Click Here!
Stein Metzger Beach Volleyball Defense Video 1