Part 1: Coaching The Jump Serve In Volleyball
In this video I teach players how to jump serve a volleyball. This video includes great volleyball coaching ques / keys that coaches can use in their own practice.
Also here is the link to Dr. Gil Fellingham Presentation:
- The statistics revealed that the worst thing you could do in volleyball in the men’s game was to miss the serve.
- The second worst thing you could do was serve a ball that the opponent passed perfectly.
- The third worst thing you could do was to serve a ball that the opponent passed “okay” (a 2-point pass)
- and the fourth worst thing was an attacking error.
Important Verbal Cues Share in This Video:
- Worst thing you can do in men’s volleyball: 1 – Miss serve, 2 – Lollipop serve, 3 – Semi lollipop serve, 4 – Spike Out
- Hips for power – Hips rotate around and axis
- On the toss – Tossing arm straight – No moving parts
- Toss ball in front of hitting shoulder
- Less is more
We often will add additional verbal cues. We tend to have 20-30 cues per skill. I know that sounds like allot however this includes cues for “Getting in the Zone,” “Reading the Game,” and “Slowing the Ball Down.”
Part 2: Coaching Instruction and Review Behind Coaching a Volleyball Jump Serve
This video breaks down what I am doing as I am coaching. Important coaching points:
- Guided discovery
- Open probe questions – Who, What, What, When, How, O, So, Meaning, And, Tell Me
- Motor learning patterns are stored In the brain Visually.
- Language of volleyball we speak Is our culture.
- Players learn with multiples senses.