Stein presents a six video series on setting for the beach. In these instructional videos correct form is taught along with coaching tips on how long it can take to master setting in the sand.
1. For footwork start in a neutral position and step straight ahead when the ball is passed. Start by practicing the steps and positioning without the ball. Then add a ball and finally a spike.
2. Hard work is done to set a ball with little to no spin. Shuffle the feet and have the ball land in position above the nose, forehead or chin.
3. Squaring off to the target is essential. Never set off to the side or when turning.
4. Use the basket created by the hands for control. Use the elbows to push the ball up rather than the fingers.
5. Extension is the last part of good footwork. Extension starts in the legs and works up through the elbows and basket.
6. Finish by covering the hitter immediately. If the hitter is blocked play the ball up and start a new play.
To view all of Stein Metzger’s videos – Click Here!
Stein Metzger Beach Volleyball Setting Video 1