Level 5 – Involves players “Observing,” “Orientating,” “Deciding,” and making an “Action” based upon information on one or more posters while watching and interacting with a separate moving object in constant motion while being actively distracted with the goal of moving the player out of their visual sensory mode. The purpose of level 5 exercises are to help:
- Track a moving object,
- While scanning between 1, 2 or more posters,
- While performing all 4 stages of the OODA Loop,
- While switching the “Visual field” horizontally, vertically or both,
- While “Maintaining a stable image on the retina”
- While switching “Soft” to “Fine” focus,
- And only focusing visually on the task at hand, meaning “Centering” on only that which is important.
This build on level 4 exercises plus adds a new component of non-visual and visual distraction. Players need to learn to zone more and center more on their visual sense. Also center in onto only that which is important.
More information on “Centering” can be found by reading(Volleyball1on1 OODA Loop Volleyball Vision Coaching Blueprint and Vision Training for Sports Paper)
(Same as level 3 & 4 but while interacting with a ball / object and being distracted.)
- Track the arrow on the outer circle, see the color it is located on and then find the inner circle with the same color. Then perform an action in the direction of the inner circle.
- Track the checked design on the outer circle, see the color it is located on and then find the inner circle with the same color. Then perform an action in the direction of the inner circle.
- Find direction of the outer circle arrows, then perform an action based upon the direction.
- Find shaded color in the outer triangle (Purple, green or orange) and then move or react based upon the shaded color.
- Find shaded an Icon Male Sign, Female Sign, Check Mark, Moon, Bull’s-eye, Diamond, Spade, Club or Heart. (There are 18 of each icon and there are 9 different icons) and based upon which outer triangle the Icon is in then move or react based upon the shaded color.
- Move in the direction of the black moon shape between the outer circle and the inner purple, green and orange triangle.
- Move in the direction of the white dot in the inner circle.
- Perform the volleyball action: dig, set, spike, serve, block or pass in the inner set of triangles.
Example Exercise Videos:
Exercise 10: 2 Poster – Scanning and Maintaining a Stable Image on the Retina while watching a Moving Object and being Motion in Full OODA Loop and Being Distracted Visually and Non-Visually