Level 3 – Involves players “Observing,” “Orientating,” “Deciding,” and making an “Action” based upon information on one or more posters. Players are now ideally in constant motion. The purpose of level 3 exercises are to help:
- Improve “scanning for objects” while in motion. This is far more difficult than when stationary
- Improve players skill through all 4 stages of the OODA Loop.
- Improve “Visual field” horizontally and vertically between 2 or more posters
- Improve “Maintaining a stable image on the retina”
- Improve “Soft” to “Fine” focus vision training
- Improve visual focus over other senses and thinking
- Teach reaction to only that which is “Observed” and “Orientated.” To many athletes react to imaginary information often the result of “Mental Models” or “Paradigms.”
“Mental models or paradigms are simply a way of looking at and understanding the world. They create our expectations for how the world works.
While our mental models or paradigms work and match up with reality most of the time, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes the universe pitches us a curveball that we never saw coming and the mental models we must work with aren’t useful and can in fact negatively impact our performance and slow our reaction speed in the OODA Loop.
For example, players can be so fixed on the mental model they expect, that their eyes literally see things that do not happen or they cannot decide and act on what they observe due to their paradigm expectation.” – Andor Gyulai (Exert From: Volleyball1on1 OODA Loop Volleyball Vision Coaching Blueprint and Vision Training for Sports Paper)
- Track the arrow on the outer circle, see the color it is located on and then find the inner circle with the same color. Then perform an action in the direction of the inner circle.
- Track the checked design on the outer circle, see the color it is located on and then find the inner circle with the same color. Then perform an action in the direction of the inner circle.
- Find direction of the outer circle arrows, then perform an action based upon the direction.
- Find shaded color in the outer triangle (Purple, green or orange) and then move or react based upon the shaded color.
- Find the Icon: Male Sign, Female Sign, Check Mark, Moon, Bull’s-eye, Diamond, Spade, Club or Heart. (There are 18 of each icon and there are 9 different icons) and based upon which outer triangle the Icon is in then move or react based upon the shaded color.
- Move in the direction of the black moon shape between the outer circle and the inner purple, green and orange triangle.
- Move in the direction of the white dot in the inner circle.
- Perform the volleyball action: dig, set, spike, serve, block or pass in the inner set of triangles.
Example Exercise Videos:
Exercise 7: 1 Poster – Scanning and Maintaining a Stable Image on the Retina in Motion in Full OODA Loop
Exercise 8: 2 Poster – Scanning and Maintaining a Stable Image on the Retina in Motion in Full OODA Loop
Full OODA Loop Explained: