Bill Ferguson Team Stations from USC Practice – Middle and Libero Volleyball Setting Drill. One of the biggest problems during transition is after the ball is dug on defense having a middle or libero set the ball effectively when the setter can not.
What this drill does is help train the middle and libero on several fronts. This drill will help:
- The Libero and Middle communicate as to who should set the ball. Generally if the ball is in front of the 10 foot line the middle sets it, if it is behind the 10 foot line the libero sets it!
- Drill will help the middles with the accuracy of their sets
- Drill will help the libero with the accuracy of their sets
- As a side note the drill helps with defense of the back row players.
- Look at the bottom of the ball (Setting)
- Up and down flight is more important
- Bill Ferguson – “I want the set inside the pin, I want the hitter to have a hittable ball!”
One important change in the set that we have noticed more and more is that the set location has moved inside by 2-4 feet relative to the traditional outside transition set. What this means is the set is never accidentally set outside the pin not giving the hitter a playable ball. What we at volleyball1on1 have also heard from some coaches is that the kill % is higher from this new location! Also see the “conversation from the office” included where this drill is broken down in detail.
To see all of Bill Ferguson’s 65 Videos – Click Here!