It’s been 4 months since I started working with both Ben Vaught and Branden Clemens as a team. In that time we have made some major changes to their game with the result that they are now challenging or even beating some of the top teams on the AVP. No small accomplishment for two young players ages 21 and 23.
The foundation of our coaching philosophy is the volleyball coaching concept: “What Great Looks Like!” ® – The Volleyball1on1 Beach Volleyball Playing Standard.
- We Serve In and Tough
- No Hitting Errors
- We Pass The Ball Tight
- Hittable Balls
- We Take Out the Trash
- Relentless Pursuit Defense
- Game Plan Offense
- Game Plan Defense
What you will notice in this video series:
- #4 Hittable Balls – We have worked heavily on approach angles and setting balls that favor specific approach angles. Often this means not kicking out to create a good approach angle but rather going for a back, which we call a white and or red.
- #1 Serve In and Tough – As a team we have dramatically improved our serving! This meant making some changes on where we contact the ball for Ben’s jump serve and really working on two different serves that match Branden technique and defense goals.
- #3 We Pass The Ball Tight – Branden passing tight has really improved. Ben focus for passing has been to pass lower so that it is easier for Branden to set. Additionally both have modified their mindset on passing with the new mindset that their pass sets up where they are going to run their offense from. Meaning we create our game-plan offense with our pass, be that a pin, middle or back set offense. All three start with where we pass.
- #7 Game Plan Offense – We have worked hard on running different plays on offense to help frustrate the defense. In this video you will see the effectiveness of this offense and how it frustrated “The Mckibbin Brothers.”
- #8 Game Plan Defense – We run a unique defense with 10 blocking defense calls. Also our defensive philosophy is that the blocker is trying to block everything if possible with a high focus on seam blocks. The defender has greater responsibility for shots vs. hard driven balls. We have also put allot of effort together into improving both Branden blocking technique and Ben defense technique and the dividends are paying!
Video Review From 2-26-18
Full Match With No Review
How about them dance moves? Casey got nothing on Ben and Branden! 🙂
Next, A Past Match Last Year Where Ben and Branden Lost Badly To “The Mckibbin Brothers” – Notice How Different They Play!
- The Branden Clemens and Ben Vaught Project – 1 Month Later (11-1-17)
- The Ben Vaught Volleyball Project – 2016-2017
- What Great Looks Like! ™ – The Volleyball1on1 Playing Standard – Volleyball1on1 Coaching Formula for On Court Volleyball Success