In today’s information overloaded online world many volleyball coaches are driven towards the belief that they, as Head Coaches need to be like a fox in that they know everything there is to know about the sport of volleyball. This formula quickly leads to disaster due to lack of focus, lack of time, and most importantly, information overwhelm.
Volleyball1on1’s “Superior Coaching Systems” ™ for Head High School Coaches and their programs offer a proven winning formula based on a powerful business success tool from Jim Collins book “Good To Great!” known as the “Hedgehog Concept”.
The Hedgehog Concept – “One Big Thing”
Excerpts from “Good To Great!”:
Are you a hedgehog or a fox? In his famous essay “The Hedgehog and the Fox,” Isaiah Berlin divided the world into hedgehogs and foxes, based upon an ancient Greek parable: “The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.”
Successful volleyball coaches know the “One Big Thing” that drives their programs success and they stay focused on that one thing. At Volleyball1on1 our “One Big Thing” is called:
What Great Looks Like! ®
The Hedgehog Concept is developed further in the famous business book by Jim Collins titled: “Good To Great!”. It is a simple concept that flows from the deep understanding about the intersection of three circles:
1) What you can be the best in the world at?
2) What you are deeply passionate about?
3) What best drives your economic or resource engine?
“Transformations from good to great comes about by a series of good decisions made consistently with a Hedgehog Concept, supremely well executed, accumulating one upon another, over a long period of time.” – Jim Collins
What Can You Be the Best In The World At?
This can be a very intimidating question as a volleyball coach.
As Co-Founder of Volleyball1on1.com, I have won a NCAA Championship at UCLA, have over 25 years and 50,000 hours of coaching volleyball, and I have filmed directly for Volleyball1on1.com over 2500 volleyball coaching videos with the best players and coaches in the world.
Today, we have developed a powerful system for your success as a Head High School Volleyball Coach for you and your program that answers that question with our step by step winning formula for “What You Can Be The Best In The World At!”.
It is called: What Great Looks Like!” ® – Volleyball1on1 Coaching Standard
The Volleyball1on1 Coaching Standard consists of twelve steps where we can be the best in the world at! These ideas are developed and pursued every day in your volleyball practice. They too form the foundation of our your culture and program.
- #1 Goal is “to have fun with our friends playing volleyball” (“Keep playing Volleyball!” ™ to create stories together.)
- We believe in “player empowerment!” (players think and question.)
- Our gym is an “exploratorium.” (mistakes are encouraged and part of learning.)
- Players learn to “compete” and “thrive under pressure.” (competitions makes everyone better and learn tools for dealing with pressure.)
- Players and coaches strive to “recognize excellence” in others. (bump up ™.)
- “Energy” and “momentum” are at the foundation of our culture. (our team plays with energy, if you get 3 to 5 points in a row you win.)
- “Kaizen” – Players and coaches are “lifelong learners” and look to “improve daily.”
(Affirmation: “Every day in every way I am getting better and better!”)
- We focus on “whole person growth” and “it’s bigger than volleyball”™ using the Volleyball1on1 Coaching Principals which include:
- Learning as a culture – believe, engage, make mistakes, look stupid, and practice.
- Meta-cognition – players understand how and where they are on the learning cycle.
- Body controls your mind and your mind controls your body. (power posing, N.L.P. and more.)
- Players learn to lead or follow in a team using the principals of “The 5 Dysfunctions Of A Team.”
- Players learn to communicate effectively using: open / closed probe questions, and more.
- Players learn “Tit For Tat Game Theory” as a foundation for interpersonal and business relationships.
(Plus, more, see the Volleyballl1on1 Coaching Manual “It’s Bigger Than Volleyball!” (™) and “Whole Person Growth!”)The result: We develop excellent communicative, goal-setting, self-directed, critical thinking, lifelong learners who thrive in competition and under pressure, who know how to work as individuals and/or with a team as a member or a leader while being fair and considering others“Guided discovery” is the foundation of teaching and learning
- “Guided discovery” is the foundation of teaching and learning
- Practice, drills, coaching cues, life lessons, and more are written on the board each day for easy learning.
- The “OODA Loop,” “Reading The Game,” Slowing The Ball Down,” “Slowing The Game Down,” and “Dealing With Pressure,” are key concepts for the foundation of how all volleyball skills are taught.
- “Keep Playing Volleyball.” ™ – We want kids to keep playing volleyball beyond high school and college. Develop a love for the game!
Each of the 12 steps above are covered in detail in our High School Volleyball1on1 Summer Camps, whereby we travel to your gym and help you, your staff, and players implement our robust camp curriculum based on our “What Great Looks Like!” ® system.
We too have created an extensive 350-page Volleyball1on1 Coaches Manual for High School Head Coaches and their staff to help them successfully implement our Superior Coaching Systems ™ during camp week with us and post camp week moving into season and ongoing.
“Transformations from good to great come about by a series of good decisions made consistently with a Hedgehog Concept, supremely well executed, accumulating one upon another, over a long period of time.” – Jim Collins
Our High School Head Coaches and their programs that choose to be the best in the world at our 12 “What Great Looks Like!” Coaching Steps above move their programs very quickly from “Good To Great!”. These Head Coaches year after year have a winning program that is systematized, repeatable, and expandable to create success ongoing each year!